Monday, September 28, 2015

Words To Live By

 #ThoughtHealing Quote For The Week: “‘Someday’ is a disease that takes your dreams to the grave with you. If it’s important to you and you want to do it ‘eventually,’ just do it and correct your course along the way. Tom Ferriss, The Four-Hour Workweek

I admire people who live their lives by the “Just Do It” Nike credo. And, apparently, Mr. Ferriss counts himself among that elite few, happily exhorting the rest of us to embrace this motto. We all know people like this: the ones who successfully, and seemingly with little effort, make a major change in their lives, like quitting smoking, losing weight, or even walking away from their “Sure Thing” job in order to seek their passion in life. These people are the high-wire acts in the circus of life, the ones who courageously go out on a limb and then willingly saw themselves off.

I have a different philosophy, which I think of as the anti-Nike approach to life: “Just Don’t Do It.” Born out of fear, a mean lazy streak, and the immortal words of Louisa May Alcott who said, “Let us be elegant or die,” I have no problem with not doing something—especially if there is a chance that I do it wrong or, heaven forbid, risk looking stupid.

Or, maybe it’s just that I’m more of a Canon “Image Is Everything” kinda gal.

One of Canon’s most successful ad campaigns, the “Image Is Everything” commercial featuring Andre Agassi, was all about style over substance. “Overnight,” Agassi wrote in his autobiography, Open, “the slogan became synonymous with me. Sportswriters likened this slogan to my inner nature, my essential being. They said it’s my philosophy, my religion, and they predicted it would be my epitaph.”

And could you blame them?

In the early years of his male-pattern baldness, a rabidly narcissistic Agassi took to wearing a flamboyantly high-maintenance weave. As if it wasn't enough that the hair that made him famous was fake, Agassi admits that it was a crappy fake, too: At the 1990 French Open, Agassi's conditioner caused his weave to fall apart, forcing his brother to bobby pin it to his head and the horrified tennis diva to go all sweaty-palmed over whether his scalp pelt would go flying mid-match.

Yeah, I get that.

Let us not forget that I’m the one who, once I escaped from the barn I had accidentally locked myself in by climbing out of a window and falling precipitously to the ground, proceeded to casually brush myself off and stroll nonchalantly back to the house on the sheer chance that one of my neighbors just happened to be looking out towards my barn in the wee hours of New Years Day.

For most of my life, I was one of those people who didn’t start something until I felt I was totally and completely knowledgeable about the thing I wanted to try. And while it made my resume look good, it didn’t do much for my self-esteem. Because I did this out of fear. Fear of the consequences of not doing something “right” or “perfectly.” Fear of financial insecurity or insolvency. Fear of having to ask for help or even having to admit that I needed help. Fear of being vulnerable.

But now I’m trying to learn how to put my toe in the water just a bit, how to at least climb the tree even if I don’t go out on the limb. I’m trying to learn how to turn off the critical “image is everything” mindset and allow myself to have a few bad hair days. To be willing to correct my course if I find that I’m off the path.

John Kenneth Galbraith said, “If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error.”

I don’t know about you, but knowing that I can assure my immortal image just by making one spectacular error takes the sting out of giving new something a try.

Maybe the next time I say to myself, “Someday I’d like to do that,” I might be a bit more willing to Just Do It.

Have you been saying, “Someday” to your dreams?

Think about it!

Want to know more about how I managed to lock myself in the barn in the first place? Check out that my blog about that spectacularly stupid wake-up call.

Want to know more about transforming limited thoughts and beliefs into limitless possibilities? Check out my Examine–Envision–Emerge Personal Transformation Book Series. Each book explores a particular aspect of thought healing. Find yours online at your favorite retailer today!

No comments:

Post a Comment